Thursday, January 13, 2011

Would It Kill You to Say Thank You?

It is nice when someone says “Thank You.” My mother tried to instill the etiquette of thank you notes in me while I was growing up. I only sent them because of her insistence. It was only when I was in my late 20’s when Mom’s training began to take and I saw the importance of formally responding with thanks to those who had been gracious to me in one way or another. My apologies to all those I neglected between the time I was out from under my mother’s immediate supervision and the time I adopted her habits for my own.

Actually, it took another woman to help me see the importance of giving thanks. My wife gave thanks on my behalf until I figured out I could do it myself.

My seminary must have known that young people have a hard time taking up the habit of giving thanks. Whenever I would receive a letter from my seminary informing me that I had received a scholarship for the school year, the letter always reminded me that a thank you note would be appreciated by the family which sponsored the scholarship. Such a prompt helped me be mindful of the need to give proper thanks.

I may be showing my age but my observation, limited as it is, tells me that the next generation is not getting the hang of this formal thank-you business. I now understand why the US Postal Service is going under – no one under thirty-five is sending thank you notes! (I use hyperbole. Surely a few are still sending notes, but they seem all too few, indeed).

Of course, scripture teaches us not to expect appreciation. Indeed, we are not supposed to keep track of the good deeds we do for others. We are told not to let our “left hand know what our right hand is doing.” Still, it feels good to be appreciated.

The apostle Paul was quick to give thanks to the congregations he served. My favorite of these texts is from Philippians (1:3 and following), “I thank my God every time I remember you . . . because of your sharing in the gospel . . .” Paul not only thanked God, but he let his congregations know of his thanks for them and their partnership in his ministry. So, giving thanks is an okay thing to do. It may even be a Christ-like thing to do. Miz Manners would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment