Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Cult of Personality

In the 1995 film, “To Die For,” Nicole Kidman’s character, Suzanne, says, “You aren’t really anybody in America if you aren’t on TV.” In an aside, another character quotes Suzanne with the following commentary:

Suzanne used to say that you're not really anybody in America unless you're on TV... 'cause what's the point of doing anything worthwhile if there's nobody watching? So when people are watching, it makes you a better person. So if everybody was on TV all the time, everybody would be better people. But, if everybody was on TV all the time, there wouldn't be anybody left to watch, and that's where I get confused.

Reality TV has intensified this notion that anyone can and perhaps even should be a celebrity as if the ambition of Suzanne to be seen is the pinnacle of human endeavor.  Rock group Living Color produced a song in 1988 called “Cult of Personality,” a biting critique of fame.  And while the message in the lyrics seems a bit muddled, the danger of idolatry is clearly noted.
Yet, without any sense of irony, our present culture seems to glory in idolatry – in the cult of personality.  But such idol worship makes a mockery of real life.  As Donna the Buffalo sings, “What does all this Hollywood really have to do with us?”
Reality TV has nothing to do with real life.  And if we seek to make real life anything like TV, then life becomes hypocritical, vacuous and superficial.  An actor I know recently told me that reality TV is just bad drama/comedy that has taken the place of good stories and acting.  And yet the American public either has an insatiable thirst for bad TV, or Hollywood is intent on making us into dumbed-down consumers of shallowness.
Real life is not a hunk of a guy having a harem of women clamoring for his attention.  Real life is not a competition to stay on an island.  In real life, the kitchen should not the setting for a competition.  In real life, we don’t consider the bad behavior of other people as a form of entertainment.
As a Christian, I cling to the promise of Jesus that he came that we may have life to the full (John 10:10).  There’s not much on TV or in Hollywood that hints at fullness of life.  I prefer the interactions of real people in real time - Taking a walk in a local park with my wife.  Playing guitar with my talented, musician children.  Preparing a meal and anticipating my guests’ pleasure.  Visiting the sick in an attempt to provide comfort and encouragement.  Providing shelter for those temporarily on the streets and having conversation with them as an acknowledgement of our common humanity.  Going to work each day and honoring the contributions of my fellow workers. 
Real life seems less spectacular than reality TV and the cult of personality.  But then, who ever said that a full life should be a spectacle?  Jesus, whose personality is certainly compelling, eschewed any sense of spectacle when he refused the Satan’s temptation to leap off the pinnacle of the temple in order to draw attention to himself.  His example is a counterpoint to the self-idolatry promoted in our present age.

I long for fullness of life for everyone.  Such fullness is not found in the range of the camera lens but in the day to day loving of one another.  May your life be so full.

1 comment:

  1. Thought provoking.. if I am making the most of my God given life every day,,, I really don't have time to watch unrealistic
    "Reality T.V" I pray daily to be all that God calls me to be, keep my eyes on Him, and do whatever He puts in front of me, willingly. When I fail at this, I begin to compare, judge, and end up a miserable human being. This is quite unlike what God calls me to be. So, for today, I am grateful to be able to get out of bed, put both feet on the floor, and go about my Father's business , for real!!

    ReplyDelete