Saturday, January 1, 2011

Epiphany

Epiphany is name Christians give to the remembrance of the magi's visit to the Christ child. We celebrate the star as a symbol of God's light shining in a dark world. We recognize the wise men as representative of the "world" beyond Judaism on whom the revelation of God has shined.

The important thing to note here is that Epiphany reminds us that God's salvation is not something we figured out for ourselves. God had to reveal it to us. In a world of self-made religion, self-help books, and self-actualization strategies, Epiphany tells us that there are some things we cannot discern unless someone tells us.

We sometimes use the word "epiphany," in the same sense as "Aha!" As in, "I've just had an idea/epiphany." The Christian understanding of Epiphany is just the opposite. The mystery of God's plans for creation is never something we can figure out on our own. God is the one who reveals the truth to us. God is the one who shines a light on our path. God is the one who shows us the life that leads to blessing.

Practically speaking, this is why Christians must always be evangelists. No one figures this mystery of God for themselves. Everyone needs a witness, a shining star, a testimony. Everyone needs someone to reveal this truth to them. So, we sing "Go, tell it on the mountain," or "I love to tell the story."

Someone told me the story long ago. It took time for the truth of the story to sink in. I did have a moment when the mystery of the gospel made a connection in my life, but it was not something I figured out for myself. I depended on the witness of many others, including the inward witness of the Holy Spirit, shining a light on my darkness. And now it is my turn to tell the story to others, for some have never heard "the message of salvation from God's own holy word." How will they hear unless I tell them? How will they see unless God shines a light for them?

Epiphany - a reminder to Christians that we have a responsibility to keep shining the light of the star of Bethlehem for the nations to come to its rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment