Thursday, October 28, 2010

Modesty

If I write this, I suspect I will come off sounding like I’m old. Out of touch, a prude, a prig. Since only a few folks read this blog, I doubt my reputation will be too badly tarnished in any respect.

I’m writing on modesty, or the lack thereof, in modern culture. Seems as if the “anything goes” mood of the hippie generation has caused fashion to lose its moorings in the current day. Why do people feel like they must impose on me their freedom to expose their skin? I think we have lost the distinction between what we do in a public space versus a private space.

Take music for instance. There is a kind of arrogance in those who blare their favorite music from their cars, windows down, volume up. It is a kind of assault, an act of aggression, “listen to my music or else.” At the very least it is a misuse of public space, an act of selfishness which does not take into consideration the needs of those around you. If you want to listen to your favorite music turned up loud, do it in a private space in such a way that it does not bother your neighbors, please.

So, back to the subject of dress. There is a similar arrogance in those who expose their favorite body parts from their clothes, neckline plunged, or pants sagging. It is an act of aggression, “I dare you not to look.” At the very least it is a misuse of public space, an act of selfishness which indeed, flaunts what one has regardless of the impact on others. If one wants to dress immodestly, then do so in a private space in such a way that it does not bother one’s neighbors, please. I do not want to see the cleavage of my child’s teacher anymore than I want to see the, ahem, cleavage of my plumber when he bends over the clogged pipes in my house.

Self-expression has reached new heights in post-modern culture. Our bodies have become canvases, or pin cushions. Professional dress has given way to casual Fridays to sloppy everydays. Who am I to say it is wrong?

Maybe it is not wrong. I just prefer not to have another’s self-expression rubbed in my face. Remember those parts of our bodies we once called “privates”? I would just like to keep them that way.

For Biblical consideration: The expressive love language of the Song of Solomon is rich with imagery and even innuendo, but without graphic, anatomical detail. Perhaps we can learn from this evocative poetry how to balance sensuality with modesty. Lover invites lover into the “garden,” or into the “chamber,” both private spaces for love’s consummation. May we take a hint from such scripture for how to make the distinction for dress in public and private spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment