Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bullying and Homosexuality

Paul writes about women and men “exchanging natural intercourse” for “unnatural,” and based on this text from Romans 1:26 and following, plus a couple of passages from Leviticus in the Old Testament, there is strong condemnation of homosexuality in many Christian churches. And there it is in the Bible in rather harsh language.

There are books that can be written on this subject and this is not going to be one. I simply want to offer a perspective that even if we take this Biblical view at face value and consider homosexuality to be a sin, this does not give anyone permission to bully another human being as has been in the news so much in recent days.

The United Methodist Church of which I am a preacher/pastor holds that homosexuality is “incompatible with Christian teaching,” but we also affirm that every person, regardless of sexual orientation is of “sacred worth.” Therefore, no person of sacred worth is to be degraded or condemned by another person. This may be a fine line to walk but I have not found it difficult in my life to treat people with love and respect just because they are sinners (by the way, everyone I know, including myself, is a sinner). We are all saved by grace through faith, rather than through bullying and intimidation.

For those who might wish that the United Methodist Church was a little more vocal in its critique of homosexuality I offer this sobering perspective – in the same passage from Romans, quoted above, Paul also condemns those who are “covetous (greedy), malicious, envious, . . . full of strife, deceit, craftiness, gossips, slanderers . . . insolent, haughty, boastful . . . rebellious toward parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless . . .”

I don’t know about you, but I find myself in that list. So, my perspective on homosexuality is tempered by my own problems. Jesus said something about taking the log out of one’s own eye before removing the speck from the eye of another.

Why don’t we all take a deep breath and try to observe the Golden Rule, and teach our children to do the same – Do unto others as you would have them do to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment