Sunday, April 5, 2020

Wishing Injury to False Prophets

I have found myself wishing ill of others lately, particularly those who in my opinion are misrepresenting Christ Jesus to the world, either by their words or actions.  This troubles me because I have always tried to be mindful of Jesus’ words that “whoever is not against us is for us” (Luke 9:50)

But when religious leaders protect abusive priests; when, in a time of pandemic, deranged preachers urge their congregations to defy social distancing compliance; when white supremacists twist the gospel to support their prejudices; when pastors justify the purchase of private jets as a “word from the Lord;” when evangelical spokesmen defend the immorality of a governmental leader because of an imagined “higher good,” I am driven to the words of St. Paul in addressing the Galatian community (5:12), “I wish those who unsettle you would castrate themselves.”

A little context might help.  The issue is circumcision, a standard Jewish practice that marked one (males) as a “son of Abraham.”  Paul made the argument to all the communities to whom he brought the gospel that if Christ Jesus has set them/us free from the law then circumcision is no longer necessary to mark one as a child of God (“neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything”).  But there were those who Paul considered false prophets who were insisting that adherence to the law of circumcision was still necessary for Christians.  Paul felt that if we were to give in to one aspect of the law then we would be obligated to the law as a whole, thus defeating the whole concept of grace.  He felt so strongly about this that he had no patience or tolerance for these false prophets.  Thus his hostile suggestion that they would mutilate themselves!

I am feeling equally unconciliatory toward those who are perverting the gospel to suit their unChristlike attitudes.  Indeed, I am being judgmental.  Perhaps I am seeing the speck in their eyes without removing the log in my own eye, but I lean on Paul for support.  I think the gospel of Jesus Christ is in many ways being perverted.  Whenever the grace of God is side-stepped then Christians must speak out in defense of the gospel.  These false prophets are guilty of taking the Lord’s name in vain - ascribing to God/Christ things that are ungodly and unChristlike.  To paraphrase Paul, I wish they would be cut off!


No comments:

Post a Comment