Monday, July 19, 2010

Psalms are for Psinging

The prayer book of God's people is the book of Psalms, located somewhere close to the middle of the Bible. Psalms are meant to be sung, but singing them meaningfully in modern melody can be a challenge. The meter and rhythm of Hebrew doesn’t always translate into tuneful contemporary songs in English. Still, there are some songs that have been made successfully out of many psalms. There are a number of wonderful hymns or songs based on the 23rd Psalm, for instance, and one of my new favorites is based on Psalm 63.

Someone has said, “the one who sings prays twice.” I don’t know if that rings true for you but it does for me. When the words of prayer and devotion are set to music in some creative or melodic way, my sense of connection to God seems deeper. Such a connection may simply be an emotional response to a tune that grabs me in some way, but then God did come in the flesh to be with us, so I don't discount emotions as an avenue for God to reach us. Some of the scripture I love best is that which I have sung in choirs or with congregations.

This Sunday I am struggling with Psalm 13 (and it is a psalm of struggle), a rather melancholy prayer lamenting God’s absence. Many of the psalms speak of a yearning for God, a longing that is often hard to satisfy. Popular Christian duo, Shane and Shane, have a wonderful interpretation of Psalm 13 which will keep it in my heart for the rest of my life. I recommend it as a resource for your own devotional life.

Another psalm which speaks of our longing for God, and which has been set to lovely melody is Psalm 42, “As a deer longs for the water, so my soul longs after you.” Praying the psalms can be a way of learning how to pray. Singing the psalms deepens prayer. I advise singing the psalms even if you can't carry a tune in a bucket. Give it a shot, and surround yourself with a singing community so they can make up for your lack of melodic confidence. Psalms are meant to be sung.

No comments:

Post a Comment